Sunday, July 29, 2012

Another good recipe!

Hello everyone!


The other day, I decided to try being a bit more frugal (school tuition doesn't pay itself) yet still eating clean, healthy foods.  I got a big bag of Birdseye (a brand of veggies) Oriental Stir Fry.


It comes with sauce packets but I tossed them because they contain wheat and sugars and crap. 


Here's my recipe for a simple vegan stir fry.  It's Vegan and Gluten-Free (if Tamari sauce is used).


Looks very similar- I didn't add sesame seeds on top but you can!


Serves 1


2 cups of vegetables from the bag (any fresh or frozen stir-fry mix will do.  This recipe uses frozen so if you use fresh, cooking time might be different.)
1/4 block of firm tofu cut into bite size pieces
1 teaspoon of canola/coconut oil (olive isn't good for frying)
Tamari Soy Sauce (I use low sodium but that's optional)


Step 1:


Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat until hot.


Step 2:


Add veggies and a couple tablespoons of water then cover.  Cook like this for about 4 minutes.


Step 3:


Add tofu and drizzle Tamari sauce (or regular soy sauce) just enough to get most of the vegetables (about a Tablespoon. Adjust to taste)


Step 4:


Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables are as done as you'd like. (I like them barely cooked with most of their crunch and nutrients left)


Serve immediately.


Approximate cost per serving is roughly $1-$1.50 per serving. Not bad. (Tofu by me is cheap, if you aren't as fortunate to live near an Asian market then it will cost more)


I think it tastes VERY good and I normally hate veggies!  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment