Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Much Easier Said Than Done

Hello everyone-




I think I posted in a previous entry that I found out that I am allergic to wheat and fish and that I am lactose intolerant.  This means I basically cannot eat wheat, fish, and milk.  Easy, right?


No. Not easy at all. 


The easiest one to kick- fish.  I have never been a big fish eater, like ever so that's a no brainer.


Milk- Not so easy. Why?  I love my Starbucks Frappucinos. Sadly, even if you ask for soy, there is still a little milk in it. (I think). Also I like my cheese.  This one isn't quite so bad because I do not have dairy often.


Wheat- Oh wheat, you rascal.  You taste divine, you make baked stuff nice and fluffy and full of doughy goodness, and you bloat me bigger than the Goodyear fucking blimp, make me want to hit the bed 10 minutes after eating you, and live on the fucking toilet.  And yet it's so hard to kick you out of my life for good. Why? BECAUSE YOU ARE IN PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING. Having to avoid pretty much anything, even the things one wouldn't expect you in SUCKS. Thanks a lot, jerk. 


So yeah. I have not been having a fun time with this.  As for the celiac tests I took last week, I still await the results.  If I DO end up having celiac, I have to be even more strict about what goes into my mouth.  When you have to eliminate so many foods from  your life all at once, be it for an allergy or any other reason, it's HARD.   It's very difficult mentally to see your friends and family eating "normally" while you can't. It's hard when there are office parties and you can't have anything because it's all loaded with wheat. 
I honestly feel like a fat rabid swine drooling over things like pizza, etc that I cannot have, not because I am trying to lose weight per se but because of allergy. 


Have any of you guys had to go from one extreme to another dietarily and how did you cope with it? 

1 comment:

  1. oh that's tough! in the long run, you'll be healthier for it, but it's hard not to be able to choose to splurge when you want to. when i went paleo, i had a tough time giving up wheat. i do think i'm gluten sensitive but i can have a croissant from time to time and i'm okay (i just can't go overboard or i'm asking for a stomach ache). having an allergy must be a hard thing to adjust to.

    it's good to remember that there are lots of great things you can still eat! and it really is better to know what to avoid. elanaspantry.com has great gluten free dessert recipes (and regular recipes) when you want to splurge (i think it's good psychologically to know you *can* even if you don't want to do it often). i know there are lots of gluten free/dairy free blogs out there and you can find good support there. keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete