Sunday, December 11, 2011

Giving Paleo Another Shot- and Why You Should Too.

Hello everyone!




In a previous post, I mentioned how I would be going Paleo again and why, and that I would discuss my reasons for it later. Well, later is here now.


Some of you might have heard about Paleo but have no idea what it entails, or maybe you know a little about it.  Basically, when following a Paleo diet, you're pretty much eating like a caveman.



There really were no fat cavepeople. 


The basic gist of it is you do not eat dairy, cereal grains or even grainlike seeds like quinoa, no legumes (beans, peanuts, etc), and focus on eating fruits, meats and non starchy vegetables.  

To find out more, read The Paleo Solution and The Paleo Diet. For recipes, The Paleo Diet Cookbook is also a great resource.

Why am I deciding to go this path? Aren't grains good for you? Well not as good as you think. Especially wheat. I read that a lot more people have a sensitivity to wheat and gluten than one may realize. Also, not all wheat sensitivity/celiac disease symptoms are digestive either.  It has been linked to things like asthma, allergic rhinitis, eczema, rheumatoid arthritis and more as well as the constipation/diarrhea, etc.  After going through the symptoms I have read about I realize that I do have a lot of them. There are other reasons wheat is horrible for you (For example- it has a appetite INDUCING property and creates hormone imbalances) and the book Wheat Belly which I have mentioned before has a lot of evidence as to why.

Do I have celiac? I very well may. I am going to the allergist this week (I have had a nasty rash for 3 months now that just won't quit) and while I am there, I am going to ask for the blood test for celiac. Better safe than sorry.  Celiac or not, I am still going to quit wheat but that kind of thing is good to know in general. 


Even though I am not starting my bootcamp workouts tomorrow (I MIGHT but I am not certain. I really would prefer I start on Wednesday) I am going to start my wheat free life. (And I hope this helps my rash- medicine was only a temporary relief)

I hope everyone had a great weekend. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment