Friday, June 17, 2011

Metamorphosis Day 4

Hello everyone!


Before I discuss how my workout went, I need some advice/encouragement on my road to eventually becoming vegan.  My problem is that I can be good all day, eating my vegetables/soup, but in the evening, I feel like I need a little meat or cheese. I am not sure if this is my body wanting protein (or that time of the month, I just got my period last night) or if I need to be approaching this in a "weaning" fashion instead of just going cold turkey.  I used to be a super carnivore and hardly ate ANY vegetables. I was also a carb queen, meaning eating lots of potatoes and refined carbs and all that junk.


I read the book "Skinny Bitch" last night and while they do discuss the cruelty that tends to go on in slaughterhouses, what really turned on the light in my head was all the drugs and hormones and crap they pump into the animals to make more meat. Drugs that actually CAUSE weight gain. Things like that.   I had no idea about the pharmaceutical garbage in the meat. Yuck.


My workout unfortunately went the same route as day 3- no cardio. However I did up my leg reps to 25 instead of 20.  I also was working out almost at midnight, so every 10 reps I had to stop for a yawn break. That madness has to stop.  My goal is to become a day exerciser unless I have work (to be fair I did have work yesterday and the day before).


I have been keeping to the puree menus but I still nibble here and there on meat and cheese. However, the scale is STILL going down. (Weight this morning (day 5)- 272 lb, 7.4 pounds lost)  So I guess the "damage" isn't as bad as I think because I do drink a lot of water nowadays, and I am of course much more active.  



4 comments:

  1. I think it might be just because of the time of day. I'm having that issue too, by the time it gets dark outside I almost want to go "screw it, give me a steak." But from vegetarians/vegans I know, they say that it takes a few years to go even an entire day without eating some type of animal product. I never ate many vegetables before this either, some tastes are gonna take a while to get used to! Haha
    I do mine right after I wake up and have breakfast. I'm not sure if you have time or if that's too exhausting, I think if I was still in school I wouldn't be able to do that and stay awake... But I'm too lazy late at night, hehe.
    Congrats on the weight loss!! Drinking lots of water definitely helps. It gets bloating down a lot too. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add in more healthy fats! It really helps with feeling full. Coconut milk by so delicious is only 50 calories per cup and is a great night time snack. Also a Tablespoon of almond/peanut/macadamia nut butter is great at night to stabilize blood sugar through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why anybody would want to become a vegan always baffles me. It takes so much more work just to supplement the lost nutrition you can easily get from animal products. Maybe you should buy organic. Organic meat is USDA certified and has to pass vigorous inspections and they don't use all the hormones and stuff. We're on top of the food chain and have canine teeth for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I found your blog as I was looking for reviews of Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis. It sounds like you have been very successful! I hope I have the same success.

    As I matter of fact, I am vegetarian working to become vegan myself. Like the authors of Skinny Bitch, I am disgusted by the way animals are used so inhumanely. I find that nuts really help me when I feel my energy lacking -- a handful of peanuts, or some almond or peanut butter on a piece of whole wheat toast, and I feel MUCH better!

    A really good book with lots of SIMPLE ideas for meals is Cinch! By Cynthia Sass -- I've been losing weight very easily with her programme. (It has options for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores). A good vegan book for beginners might be Neal Barnard's 21-Day Kickstart (I just bought it but haven't read it yet).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete