Monday, July 14, 2014

I Got a Pedometer! Now what?

Hello everyone!



So, I've decided to start walking more, and to help me set some goals for myself, I got myself a  handy dandy little pedometer. 



But, this isn't a blog reviewing said pedometer.  I looked up what some good goals would be in terms of how many steps to take a day.   

The average American takes about 5,000 steps a day- that's about 2.5 miles.  Sounds pretty good, right?  Well... then I saw how many steps the average Japanese takes.  7,000 steps a day. 3.5 miles.  As if that puts Americans to shame enough, here come the Swiss with a whopping average of 9,800 steps a day- almost 5 miles!  And the ever so thin French walk an awful lot too (I couldn't find the number of steps but they really do walk and bike far more than Americans.)

So, I am going to wear my pedometer to work and see how many steps I take on a typical day at the office, and compare it to the average.   I'm preparing for the worst, definitely less than 5,000. 

Check back soon, and I will post my findings here in a later entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment