Saturday, July 19, 2014

How to Keep Bananas Green Longer

Hello everyone!

As some of you  may know, I am trying the Japanese Morning Banana Diet, (which I blogged about a while back ) and that entails buying and eating a lot of bananas.  

The problem: I hate brown bananas and mine seem to go brown REALLY fast, within a couple days even if I buy them green. Icky.  


I looked up some ways to stop this from happening, and I found one really interesting: Wrap the stems in plastic wrap. 

 Like this.


Apparently the gases that get released that make the fruit ripen come from the stem, and then pass on to the rest of the fruit, ripening it.  Wrapping them up keeps the gas from spreading too much, prolonging the greenness of the banana. 

I just bought some green bananas today, and I will be trying this. I have seven and I want to see how long they will be edible (by my standards).


Have any of you tried this? Did it work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment