Sunday, July 27, 2014

Health benefits of Shiitake Mushrooms

Hello everyone!


I have kept hearing about how good for you and healthy it is to eat shiitake mushrooms, so I decided to pick some up from the market. 


One of nature's healthiest foods- but why?


1. Shiitake mushrooms are very anti-cancer!  They contain a substance called lentinan that has been shown in some studies to slow down or stop cancer growth in some people. 

2. Weight loss: Shiitake mushrooms are very very low in calories and have a decent amount of fiber and protein to help keep you full.  Four fresh raw mushrooms contain about 25 calories, 2 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein (that's a lot for only four little mushrooms- Shiitake are not that big)  They are also rich in B vitamins that aid metabolism. 

3. Want to get sick less?  Eat more shiitake.  The same cancer-stopping substance (lentinan) also helps to boost immunity.  It is also said to be more effective than some prescription drugs.

How do they taste?  They taste like mushrooms... I really can't decribe how they taste all that well, but I do like them.

Another delicious and super healthy mushroom is called maitake (which I did not get this time). 

Tonight I think I will make something with my new mushrooms. Perhaps kinpira (a Japanese way of cooking veggies with some oil, soy sauce, sake, and mirin which are staples in my kitchen).

Do you like shiitake mushrooms? How do you eat them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment