Sunday, October 12, 2014

Kabocha Salad Recipe!

Hello everyone!



I am still keeping my diet as I mentioned last time, and as promised, I will share with you my recipe for kabocha salad.

I forget where I found the recipe, when I find it again, I will give the website credit!


Kabocha Salad



What you need:


1/2 a kabocha squash, seeds scooped out.
1 onion
Japanese mayonnaise (I used Kewpie brand, which is the only mayonnaise I will eat)
Salt
Pepper


1. Cut the kabocha into uniform 1 inch cubes (bite size)
2. Boil or steam the kabocha for 7-10 minutes or until it's tender.
3. Drain the kabocha and let it cool
4. While the kabocha is cooling, slice the onion into thin slices (not rings but julienne) and coat with salt.  Squeeze the onion to soften and squeeze out the moisture. Don't worry about the saltiness, use as much salt as you need to get the onions covered and softened.
5. Drain the onions into a colander and rinse well with water.  They will no longer be salty.
6. When kabocha is cool, put the kabocha cubes, onion and toss with mayonnaise.  Use as much mayonnaise as you  need to moisten the salad, if you like your potato salads a little creamier, add more.
7. Toss gently so as not to smash the kabocha too much.
8. Add pepper to taste (I personally did not use any because it was good as it was)
9. Chill before serving.


As for calorie count... I really  have no idea.  However, kabocha IS suitable for paleo diets, it's not too starchy like a potato and has a sweet taste like a sweet potato.

This recipe can also be made vegan by using Vegenaise instead of the normal mayonnaise. 

Have you guys ever had this, or any kabocha recipe?  Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment