Sunday, October 5, 2014

Cold water and weight loss?

Hello everyone!


I heard from a friend that had seen something on TV about cold water helping with weight loss.  By that I mean not drinking cold water (that helps too) but also soaking your body, or parts of it in ice cold water. 


I of course thought it was bullshit.  Sounds weird, and I also don't hear of many people doing it.

However, after a little research it's more common than I thought.

The logic behind this has to do with brown body fat.  We have two types of fat in our body, brown and white.  The brown is the good fat that keeps us warm and healthy and the white is the extra flab that we don't want. 

The idea behind the cold soaks and showers is that it activates this brown fat to keep us warm, which in turn raises our metabolism and helps burn off some of the white fat.

Has anyone seen results from it? Sure.  Some people have lost as much as 30 pounds in 6 weeks from doing a cold soak.

Is it safe? Well, that is a question for the doctor because extreme cold can also cause problems for some people.

I tried doing a cold foot soak and I honestly didn't like how it felt.  I am sensitive to cold and sometimes it felt like my feet were burning. 

Also, if you are new to cold therapy, don't jump into a bathtub of ice right from the beginning.  Start slow, with feet, etc and slowly build up.

It's also important to know that you should not do this for more than 10 minutes at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment