Saturday, March 30, 2013

One more thing- Ketostix!

Hello everyone!

There is one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post about being on the ketogenic diet- how do I know if I am in ketosis? Am I in ketosis already?

There is an easy, relatively inexpensive way to find out and you can do it anywhere you have a toilet- Ketostix!


They are plastic test strips with a little square on the end (that you pee on) that has the chemical that shows if you are in ketosis.  The nice thing about these is that not only do they show if you are in ketosis, but how much.  They turn different shades of purple depending on how many ketones you are giving off.

I think a vial (and I think it has like 30 of them or something) runs about $12.

Now as for me, yes, I am in ketosis.  I started testing yesterday and I was in the "moderate" range.  The smile on my face when I saw that little square turn that deep a purple this quickly (some people take weeks to get into ketosis, so I have heard) is promising.  I was thinking after a day or two I would still be in "trace" or "small" amounts. 

I have also tested this  morning- and sure enough, still in ketosis, still moderate.   You do not necessarily need to aim for "large" but I think (don't quote me on this) the darker the color, the more fat you have burned, hence the more ketones in the blood and urine. 

I just started my day, so no food log yet; I had some hard boiled eggs and almond milk for breakfast so far.  I also plan on getting some activity in if possible. (I have some homework to do so we'll see).

Are any of you guys using ketostix, or has anyone you know?  

Have a great Saturday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment