Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Seaweed and Weight Loss?

Hello everyone!


Lately, I have been on the lookout for more new foods to try, especially ones that may help with weight loss.

The one I want to try now is konbu, which is dried kelp in Japanese (and called dashima in Korean). 

What it's used for is mostly making soup stocks, which is mainly what I am going to use it for as well.  I read that it gives the broth a really nice flavor and has many health benefits. 

Here's what it looks like- 


There are many kinds of edible seaweeds but this is the one I am trying.  I also read that the health benefits of seaweed (including konbu) include the following.

1. Konbu is especially high in iodine which works in the thyroid and helps with metabolism
2. It can reduce the rate of fat storage in the body by up to 75%
3. It has a ton of other vitamins and minerals, and it's considered a superfood.

It's a very, very common ingredient in Japanese food and they are some of the world's slimmest people.

So, I bought some at the store today and I am going to try to make some broth and soup out of it really soon. I'll include a recipe and how I feel about how it tastes, etc.
Have you ever tried this stuff?  Do you like it?


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment